Lykourgos Stavrakos was born in Sparta, a city in Peloponissos, in 1913. His biggest dream was to become a film director, however until the 1940’s there was no School of Cinema established by the Greek State. Filmmakers and directors working in the Greek film industry at that time mainly relied on their empirical knowledge, while very few of them had studied abroad. Under these circumstances, Lykourgos Stavrakos was unable to fulfill his dream and study film direction in Greece.
Since the Greek State had not established a National Film School, the materialization of this project was left to private initiative and to the good will of possible volunteers.
Lykourgos Stavrakos, a man who combined a strong sense of reality, along with high artistic sensitivity and extraordinary organizational skills, responded to this challenge and became the first man to establish film education in Greece. It is a true miracle that Lykourgos Stavrakos overcame all difficulties and barriers and in 1950 managed to create a School of high standards, a School that constantly develops as years go by.
In 1968, the School supplemented its curriculum with courses about Television broadcasting and changed its name to Hellenic Cinema and Television School Stavrakos.
The most important dates of the School’s history and development are listed below:
1950: Lykourgos Stavrakos establishes the Stavrakos Film School, the first Film School that was founded in Greece. The first sections that operated at the School were the following: Movie Acting, Direction, Cinematography and Art Direction.
1955: The HCTSS produces the feature film “The Seizure of Persephone” directed by the renowned Greek director Grigoris Grigoriou, who was then a professor at the School. The film crew consisted of a great number of students of the School.
1956: The Hellenic Cinema and Television School Stavrakos becomes a full member of CILECT.
1959: Lykourgos Stavrakos establishes a separate Drama School, in which the section of Movie Acting is included.
1963: A section for Projectionists is established in the School.
1967: Lykourgos Stavrakos establishes a separate Film School in Thessaloniki, according to the standards of the Stavrakos Film School in Athens. The Stavrakos Film School in Thessaloniki operated regularly until 1978, when an earthquake which stroke the city destroyed the entire building in which the School was housed, along with the greatest amount of its technical equipment.
1968: The School apart from covering the domain of film education, expands in the field of TV Studies by launching courses about TV Direction and Production. The School imports the SHIBADEN video equipment for the first time ever in Greece, with which the first programs of the National Television were shot in the HCTSS Tv studio.
1979: Despite the continually increasing numbers of Drama students, the Drama School ceases to function. Lykourgos Stavrakos wishes to dedicate himself exclusively to Film Studies (and since 1968 also to Television Studies).